RZ -breeding success for health made in Germany
For the first time, German breeding organizations for the Holstein and Red Holstein cattle bring into use direct genomic health breeding values. According to these new relative genomic breeding values sires can be pointed out that inherit their resilience to their offspring. Animal health within the herd can be improved rapidly, effectively and accurately without missing performance.
The official breeding values for direct health traits for the Holstein breed will be published from now on, divided into five categories:
- RZudderfit?with traits on clinical and subclinical mastitis
- RZhoof?with traits on hoof diseases
- RZmetabol with traits for metabolic diseases
- RZrepro with traits for reproduction disorders
- RZhealth as total breeding value, in which all four values are weighted according to their economic importance